‼️OUR DAMS ARE ALMOST EMPTY and RATIONED WATER
for all of MAKHANDA/GRAHAMSTOWN is VERY LIKELY
by MIDDLE FEBRUARY.‼️
Below is a combined list, from many people, of things we can do NOW to prepare us all and to save water. The more we can work together to save, the longer the little water that is left, will last.
1. Stock up on bottled water exclusively for drinking while the water stations figure themselves out.
2. Stock up on baby wipes.
3. Use Dry Shampoo or baby powder to prolong the time between washes (you will not be able to wash anyways).
4. Spray Wee Pong inside the toilet (a flush alternative).
5. Make a solution of vinegar and water or Staysoft and water to spray clothes and hang up to air.
6. Paper plates are not Eco-friendly. However if you are braaing use paper plates and burn them in the fire afterward. As an alternative, make up a spray bottle with rinse free dish soap and water, and wipe down lightly dirtied dishes with that. As for heavier loads, a load of dishes is going to be inevitable, but do so sparingly.
7. Water purification tablets for the rain water in our Jojo tanks.
8. Milton to add to water to wash fresh produce.
9. Stock up on non-perishables.
10. Hand sanitizer and hand cream because sanitizer is harsh on the skin over time.
11. Bicarbonate of Soda and vinegar. It keeps water fresh for grey use.
12. Dodgy tummy prep: Rehydrat, Medizine, Immodium, Buscopan, probiotics and extra toilet paper.
13. Have a sponge bath with a small bucket and sponge.
14. Use wet wipes to wash yourself.
15. Get a fire extinguisher for obvious reasons.
16. Stock up on extra underwear and cheap sleeping shirts.
17. If using toilet for just peeing, throw toilet paper away and not in toilet (in a separate lined bin that’s cleaned daily). This will cut down on backing up of toilet paper in the toilet allowing you to extend time between flushes with grey water.
18. Bicarbonate of Soda can control toilet paper odours if throwing toilet paper away.
19. Fill toilet cistern with grey water rather than pour into toilet (uses less water that way). Use vinegar in the toilet and drains to help with any odours and bacteria.
20. Clean with microfiber cloths or rags as sponges become unsanitary. It’s easier to clean cloths and hanging them up immediately can delay them smelling. You can also throw rags away.
21. Eat straight from the braai! No pots or pans to wash.
22. Line plates with plastic so you can peel off plastic and have clean plates.
23. Use apple cider vinegar to naturally deodorize your armpits and go without showering.
24. Wear breathable fabrics like cotton to avoid odours developing from sweat and bacteria.
25. Ladies, extend underwear life by wearing panty liners.
26. If you do have to wash plates, pans, cutlery, etc, wipe mess and dirt off with paper towel first, to make water less dirty.
27. Instead of pouring water into sink, pour into plastic tub, can re-use dirty water in toilet.
28. Clean counters with disposable wipes.
29. Vinegar can also be used for wiping and cleaning, with paper towels, without having to rinse down counters.
30.Where possible, use organic or biodegradable materials to minimize environmental waste. Please also be mindful of your plastic usage.
31. When showering, stand inside a bucket/container/skottel to catch the water and re-use to do laundry with and to flush toilets. Recycle used bath water by doing laundry with it and to flush toilets.
32. Use grey water to wash floors with.
It’s not a case of if anymore, but when! We all need to stand together and help each other.
Add to the list and broadcast it to every one of your contacts. Please also share far & wide.
💧 DO YOUR PART NOW TO SAVE WATER!!! 💧